Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Miami - Tuesday 1st July

Pinch punch, only 3 days to go until I am a symbol of national hatred - hurrah for the UK everyone!

Awake at 6.44am - this is madness
Channel 7 is crap
Channel 4 is crap
my33 channel is crap
and that's it. Contrary to UK opinion on American TV I have 3 channels and they are even worse than home. YAWN

Ok, so here's the thing, after being awake for ages... I did some work. I know I said I wouldn't but there was this thing I HAD to email. So I am officially a 'dork'. I will flagellate myself with a rusty pitch fork later.

Anyway, Wahoooooooo it's bike day today people! As you can see from all the 'o's I am excited. In fact, as I soak up some of America I am getting more and more excited at nothing every day. So, walk to 5th, hang a right and there it is - The Miami Beach Bicylce Center, where I meet Jack - he is "the man". $80 lighter and several instructions later I am road-bound on my mean machine. As you can see from the picture it is a bag of shite but it's all mine for the whole week so there. Yeah, all you Bendejos with your walking, I spit on your shoes. puhhh.

Ok, now it is 10am -what to do... Ride about, ride about, until... 12
I visit the Wolfsonian Museum today for a spot of culture - modern design from the turn of the century until the late 40's VERY very good, really enjoyed that one and a stunning building. I even buy one lucky friend back home a pressie. (I can see you're all wondering if it's you - well you have to wait to find out)

As I cycle about I feel a strange sensation in the pit of my stomach... HUNGER. Jesus, in my attempt to detox from the airplane I have completely forgotten to eat. How many days is that? So, past the 11 street diner (no way), over Collins and onto Ocean Drive, park the mean-machine and mosey along to choose my restaurant of choice. And then it happened, a seminal moment in any ones holiday - I get verbally abused by a local: "Get off my sidewalk bitch". I'm loving it! it's like a little film. I chuckle and carry on walking, brilliant. If only you could get this stuff in a guided tour - you'd be minted in a week.

Blackboard, straight ahead - $26: Appetiser, Main, Dessert, Glass of wine - I'm there. this amount of food (for 15 English pounds) will last me 2 days. The crazy woman running the joint, Mrs Halfor, is a genius. No-one, and I mean no-one who glances at the entrance to this restaurant is allowed to escape. She drags them in via a verbal net that they cannot escape from. I am stupefied so much I eat all 3 courses and drink my wine AND have a beer. Jeez, guess I was hungry. The service is also amazing, and annoying. More water? More wine? More bread? Ma'am, Ma'am, Ma'am. STOP IT YOU MANIACS! Still, it's like the antithesis of UK service and as I am on holiday I'll consider it 'quaint' and enjoy it.

Note to self: Must try and eat 'every' day from now on.

After recovering from dinner I go to the Independent Miami Cintematique on Espanola Way. Really looking forward to this. I read about it in TO and then checked it out earlier on the MM (mean-machine).

I watch "Up the Yantze River" which is this amazing documentary film about the change to the Yantze, China with the building of this crazy massive dam. It follows the story of 2 teenagers, one rich, and one poor who get jobs on a tour boat for Americans etc. wanting to see the changes in the country and the river. The cinema is filled with art-types; one actually dressed in a very floaty green 20's number sitting on a chaise longes whilst watching the film.

I just wish I had a cigarette holder and very short hair. Anyway, totally brilliant night and Saturday they are playing a Brazilian film about a boys dream of them winning the world cup in the 70's. So I'm going to that AND I'm nabbing that chaise longes I'm tellin' ya.

I can hardly keep my eyes open at 9.30pm and fall death-like onto the bed.

No comments: